Property brokered by
Get more listing details on brokerage site
Oliver Custance Baker
Oliver Custance Baker
Property DetailsBuilt in 1829 when Edwin Coleridge, first cousin of Samuel Taylor, extended it from a three roomed house to a large Georgian Rectory this property has a superb rural outlook towards Sidmouth Gap.The reception rooms and main bedrooms within the house are well-proportioned with high ceilings and large windows, several of which overlook the grounds to the front. The accommodation is arranged over three storeys with many of the rooms enjoying views to Sidmouth Gap, the Gittisham Heights and Hembury Court.The property has the benefit of formal landscaped gardens, a walled garden, a tennis court and a paddock. There are also a selection of useful outbuildings including an old coach house and stables.The house is approached via entrance pillars and a gate over a gravelled drive to a parking area on the north western side of the house.A porch and front door open into the wide hall. Off to the right is a large double drawing room with sash bay windows and an open fireplace. Opposite here is a sitting room with an interesting granite fire surround and windows overlooking the drive. Beyond these two reception rooms is a superb dining room with a decorative Coleridge frieze and fire surround. The kitchen/breakfast room is located towards the rear of the house beyond the utility room and inner hall. This is a large light room with fitted kitchen units.From the main hall, the staircase rises to the first floor landing where the seven main bedrooms are accessed. The master suite has a large bedroom, a walk through dressing room and bathroom. This room enjoys wonderful views out across the garden and surrounding countryside. The further 6 bedrooms all benefit from these wonderful views and are well-proportioned. The fourth bedroom has also previously been used as a chapel, commissioned by Coleridge and this room has feature Tudor stained glass windows clearly brought in from another property.Stairs lead up to the second floor where there are three further rooms which this floor could easily be arranged as ancillary accommodation. This floor also has 14th century windows fittedThe School HouseThis one roomed property is believed to have been built in 1829 although it houses a former 14th century Beer stone window. This charming building has a feature stone fireplace and doors providing access at both ends. The building is mentioned by Pevsner in The Buildings of England. Indeed, there is lapsed planning permission for conversion of the School House and garages to provide additional accommodation. Further information about this is available from the vendors agent.Approached directly from a courtyard adjacent to the house are a number of most useful outbuildings which offer great scope for conversion for additional accommodation. These include a double garage and stable block. The courtyard has secondary access via a gate and drive.The Old Rectory has the benefit of a delightful landscaped formal gardens predominantly situated to the south west of the house. On the south western side of the house beyond the lawn is a hard tennis court, an old piggery and a paddock well enclosed by hedge and a number of trees.On the south eastern side of the house is a walled kitchen garden containing vegetable plots, soft fruit bushes, fruit trees and the oil tank. There are also a number of water taps around the garden. These gardens contain a number of fine specimens and provide a range of colours throughout the year.These gardens extend in total to approximately 3 acres.• Reception hall• Drawing room, Dining room, Family room, Sitting room• Kitchen/breakfast room, Utility room, Cloakroom• Master bedroom with dressing room and en suite bathroom, 6 further bedrooms, 3 further bathro
Additional Property InformationThis single family listing located at Buckerell, Honiton offers seven bedrooms. The property is presently offered at $1,217,512.
This property is presented by Oliver Custance Baker of Strutt & Parker located in England.